Slam Alykom Wrahmatollah Wbarakatoh
Mashallah, I received this summary by the mailing list and I thought it would be informative and beneficial more than my summary. So, may Allah bless this person and all of us.
“بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم
Aqeedah class 13 – Summary
64. Al Iman is One and those who have it at its basic level are the same. However the levels in which some are better than others is according to their Khashya (Reverence of Allah, ) and Taqwa (Consciousness of Allah, ) and their striving to resist over inclinations and desires and upholding that which is prior.
وَالْإِيمَانُ وَاحِدٌ وَأَهْلُهُ فِي أَصْلِهِ سَوَاءٌ، وَالتَّفَاضُلُ بَيْنَهُمْ بِالْخَشْيَةِ وَالتُّقَى، وَمُخَالَفَةِ الْهَوَى، وَمُلَازَمَةِ الْأَوْلَى.
The criterion of Iman is complete belief in all of the articles of faith as enumerated in 66. But what distinguishes the elite Mu’min from the general is his/her elevated degree of :
- Reverent awe (Khashya) of Allah,
- Pervading consciousness(Taqwa) of Allah, that protects one from displeasing his Lord, that is reflected in acts of obedience of the heart and limbs aimed at pleasing Him alone in Hope, Love and fear
- Resisting and struggling to resist ones drives and inclinations – Hawa in matters significant or small and following the path of Rasul Allah in all circumstances
- Not only does this ‘abd do the utmost in avoiding the Kabaair (major) sins, the Sagaair(minor) , the Lamam( subtle slips), and Ghaflah(heedlessness) – but he /she at every instant in time and place prioritizes and chooses what is most pleasing to his/her Lord.
The sounder the intellect , clearer the heart , firmer the faith – the greater is the knowledge of Allah , leading to Awe of Him and His Words and reverence and love of His Beloved
i.e. the fruit of ‘ilm of Tawheed is Khashya and taqwa of Allah and Tazkiya of the nafs.
إِنَّمَا الْمُؤْمِنُونَ الَّذِينَ إِذَا ذُكِرَ اللّهُ وَجِلَتْ قُلُوبُهُمْ وَإِذَا تُلِيَتْ عَلَيْهِمْ آيَاتُهُ زَادَتْهُمْ إِيمَانًا وَعَلَى رَبِّهِمْ يَتَوَكَّلُونَ
8:2 Believers are only they whose hearts tremble with awe whenever Allah is mentioned, and whose faith is strengthened whenever His messages are conveyed unto them, and who in their Sustainer place their trust
65. The Believers are all Awliya of Ar Rahmaan. The most noble/ honored among them with Allah are those who most easily and steadfastly follow the Qur’an.
وَالْمُؤْمِنُونَ كُلُّهُمْ أَوْلِيَاءُ الرَّحْمَنِ، وَأَكْرَمُهُمْ عِنْدَ اللَّهِ أَطْوَعُهُمْ وَأَتْبَعُهُمْ لِلْقُرْآنِ.
All the believers are awliyaa of Allah , This is Wilayah ‘aammah (general).
أَلا إِنَّ أَوْلِيَاء اللّهِ لاَ خَوْفٌ عَلَيْهِمْ وَلاَ هُمْ يَحْزَنُونَ
10:62 Oh, verily, the Awliyaa of Allah- no fear need they have, and neither shall they grieve:
الَّذِينَ آمَنُواْ وَكَانُواْ يَتَّقُونَ
10:63 they who have attained to faith and have always been conscious of Him.
But there are those Elect, who have a special relationship with Him, .This is Wilayah Khassah (special). These are those who have strived and by the grace of their generous Lord reached pinnacles of Emaan and Taqwa.
Karaamah, derived from the root Ka-Ra-Ma, means generosity and honor. i.e Allah , grants of His Generosity on His ‘abd that which ennobles the ‘abd.
What is the greatest Karaamah of a wali ? To be steadfast in Obeying Allah , and ease in following Rasul Allah in all matters – to the minutest detail.
Any delusions I may entertain about “spiritual states” vanish at this definition of wilayah – How far is the journey ahead before Ta’a of Allah AND Ittiba’a of the Sunnah is steady state and easy !!!
66. Al Iman : Is Belief in Allah, and His Angels, and His Books, and His Messengers and in the Day of Judgement and in the Divine Decree – the good therein or the bad therein; the sweet (pleasing) therein or the bitter therein is from Allah, .
وَالْإِيمَانُ: هُوَ الْإِيمَانُ بِاللَّهِ، وَمَلَائِكَتِهِ، وَكُتُبِهِ، وَرُسُلِهِ، وَالْيَوْمِ الْآخِرِ، وَالْقَدَرِ خَيْرِهِ وَشَرِّهِ، وَحُلْوِهِ وَمُرِّهِ مِنَ اللَّهِ تَعَالَى.
Al Iman is the firm belief in the heart in all of the above.
We believe that everything that occurs is encompassed by the Divine Creative Will by Allah , knowledge and wisdom. Yet there are those that He , has allowed to exist/occur that He does not love.
The Divine Legislative Will has clearly established for us what pleases Him and therefore what we are to do and what displeases Him and therefore what we are to avoid.
The inner reality of existence of evil, is as some ‘ulamaa’ postulate – is the stimulus that allows the best potential in man to emerge when he resists and struggles for His Lord and strives to establish good.
67. And we believe in all of that and we do not distinguish between any of the messengers and we hold them all to speaking the truth in terms of what they have brought to us (as long as it is authoritatively from them )
وَنَحْنُ مُؤْمِنُونَ بِذَلِكَ كُلِّهِ، لَا نُفَرِّقُ بَيْنَ أَحَدٍ مِنْ رُسُلِهِ، وَنُصَدِّقُهُمْ كُلَّهُمْ عَلَى مَا جَاءُوا بِهِ
We Believe in all of His Messengers and the Message they brought AND We do not exclude any of them, as some others have done – earning Allah’s , chastisement.
أَفَتُؤْمِنُونَ بِبَعْضِ الْكِتَابِ وَتَكْفُرُونَ بِبَعْضٍ
- 2:85: …. Do you, then, believe in some parts of the divine writ and deny the truth of other parts?
إِنَّ الَّذِينَ يَكْفُرُونَ بِاللّهِ وَرُسُلِهِ وَيُرِيدُونَ أَن يُفَرِّقُواْ بَيْنَ اللّهِ وَرُسُلِهِ وَيقُولُونَ نُؤْمِنُ بِبَعْضٍ وَنَكْفُرُ بِبَعْضٍ وَيُرِيدُونَ أَن يَتَّخِذُواْ بَيْنَ ذَلِكَ سَبِيلاً
- 4:150 VERILY, those who deny ALLAH and His Messengers by endeavouring to make a distinction between [belief in] ALLAH and [belief in] His Messengers, and who say, “We believe in the one but we deny the other,” and want to pursue a path in-between –
أُوْلَـئِكَ هُمُ الْكَافِرُونَ حَقًّا وَأَعْتَدْنَا لِلْكَافِرِينَ عَذَابًا مُّهِينًا
- 4:151 it is they, they who are truly denying the truth: and for those who deny the truth We have readied shameful suffering.
We believe that the message of every Messenger is one of Tawheed and the individual Shariah differed according to the times and communities, by the wisdom of Allah, .
We also believe that some Messengers were graced above others by Allah .
تِلْكَ الرُّسُلُ فَضَّلْنَا بَعْضَهُمْ عَلَى بَعْضٍ
2:253 Some of these Messengers have We endowed more highly than others
We believe that Muhammad , was the one most exalted by Allah , the leader and bearer of the flag of the Messengers, The chosen Beloved whose intercession is given precedence and be sought by all -
68. And those of the Ummah of Muhammad , who have committed major sins and did not repent from them, yet believed and upheld the Oneness of Allah until their death and died in that state, whom enter hell, do not reside therein eternally, They are under the will and judgement of Allah , – (4:48) VERILY, ALLAH does not forgive the ascribing of divinity to aught beside Him, although He forgives any lesser sin unto whomever He wills – He forgives by His Grace and He punishes by His justice; If He wills to punish them by His justice, for a time known to Him, He thereafter takes them out by His merciful love and intercession of those amongst the people of obedience, then He raises them to Jannah. This is because Allah is the Protector of those who recognize Him and will not treat them in the hereafter in the same way as He treats those who deny Him, who are bereft of His guidance and have failed to obtain His protection. O Allah, You are the Protector of Islam and its people; make us firm in Islam until the day we meet You.
وَأَهْلُ الْكَبَائِرِ مِنْ أُمَّةِ مُحَمَّدٍ صلى الله عليه وسلم فِي النَّارِ لَا يُخَلَّدُونَ، إِذَا مَاتُوا وَهُمْ مُوَحِّدُونَ، وَإِنْ لَمْ يَكُونُوا تَائِبِينَ، بَعْدَ أَنْ لَقُوا اللَّهَ عَارِفِينَ مُؤْمِنِينَ، وَهُمْ فِي مَشِيئَتِهِ وَحُكْمِهِ إِنْ شَاءَ غَفَرَ لَهُمْ، وَعَفَا عَنْهُمْ بِفَضْلِهِ، كَمَا ذَكَرَ عز وجل فِي كِتَابِهِ: ﴿وَيَغْفِرُ مَا دُونَ ذَلِكَ لِمَنْ يَشَاءُ﴾[النساء:48،116]، وَإِنْ شَاءَ عَذَّبَهُمْ فِي النَّارِ بِعَدْلِهِ، ثُمَّ يُخْرِجُهُمْ مِنْهَا بِرَحْمَتِهِ وَشَفَاعَةِ الشَّافِعِينَ مِنْ أَهْلِ طَاعَتِهِ، ثُمَّ يَبْعَثُهُمْ إِلَى جَنَّتِهِ، وَذَلِكَ بِأَنَّ اللَّهَ تَعَالَى تَوَلَّى أَهْلَ مَعْرِفَتِهِ، وَلَمْ يَجْعَلْهُمْ فِي الدَّارَيْنِ كَأَهْلِ نُكْرَتِهِ الَّذِينَ خَابُوا مِنْ هِدَايَتِهِ، وَلَمْ يَنَالُوا مِنْ وَلَايَتِهِ. اللَّهُمَّ يَا وَلِيَّ الْإِسْلَامِ وَأَهْلِهِ ثَبِّتْنَا عَلَى الْإِسْلَامِ حَتَّى نَلْقَاكَ بِهِ.
SubhaanAllah – a note of Rahmah and hope to those who live and die in Tawheed of Allah and affirming and striving to live the message of Muhammad . What an ingrate I am if I saw this and used it as a license to sin !
What a fool I am if I imagine the torment of hell is endurable, no matter how short the duration ! “